Thursday 3 January 2019

Leftovers - a small scratch build

Whilst making the roof tiles for La grande maison du pays I was not very good at judging quantities of plaster, so I made sure I had other moulds at the ready to accept any overspill. As a result I have a good quantity of random bits and piece of plaster casts. I figured they may as well be put to good use and knock up a small building that could be used in the 29 Let's Go campaign.

To that end I'm making a small stone out-building. On the scenario maps I've noticed a few small square buildings so will aim for something in that wheelhouse. It'll be generic and able to grace future layouts too!

First up, prepping the hardboard, a good coat of paint on both sides to combat the dreaded warp. Bits of plaster-cast are cobbled together and glued together with PVA. They are glued onto some thin cardboard to help hold them together, then once dry the walls assembled and glued onto the hardboard.


I've chipped out a section and glued in a bit of foam board (with paper removed) to act as a door.


The window was left open and some foam board shutters added to either side, and a lintel and a ledge above and below.

The roof gables are plaster cast stones glued to card as previously, and the two ends joined together with a lump of polystyrene. The roof tiles are made out of strips of card.

The base has PVA and sand applied, and once dry the whole lot is given a base-coat in black emulsion then painted up in shades of brown, the walls and roof in greys.

I've scribed a small sliver of foam with cobbles to act as a path and added in a small tree stump with scrap bits of wood coated in acrylic caulk. The bush is just coir / coconut fibre torn up and glued in a lump.



Some of the corners are showing gaps where my poor construction skills haven't kept the piece tight together. I've used a bit of string, striped down and glued into the gaps, to act as weeds or climbers.



And the finished piece with flock added. Nothing special but I've managed to use up some bits and pieces left lying around and add some more options to future layouts! It has been a bit slow to finish but that is more to me finding time to do it, rather than any difficulty with the build.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely work as always - and a small stone cottage always handy to have around

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! My apologies for such a delay in replying - I hadn't realised I need to authorise comments before they appear.

      Delete