Monday 30 December 2019

An attempt to sprint to the finish....

The rather daft title is in reference to my recent attempt at trying to rack up over close to 500 points in about 30 days to reach my target of 1000 points for the year.

Around the midway point in the year I took stock of where I was in my own personal painting target (post here). Aside from the fact I was clearly demented and due to work thinking about the financial year rather than calendar year, I was about 50% of the way through my target of 1000 points (Using Vis Lardica scoring) and slightly more than that through the time period!

Forward a few months and as we close in on the end of the year I have spent some of my time off on finally sitting down and painting.

As part of the push I've painted:



Sorting out somr 6mm WW2 in the form of Baccus' new Panzer IVs with some complementary Shermans for the Brits. A few more supports for both, AT guns & crews, PIATS, mg34 (light role) and vickers (sustained role). A test game of IABSM is in the offing now.


The three sherman tanks in the top right of the picture above are from Anyscale Models to replace the two diecast ones I have been using in the Chain of Command 29 Let's Go Campaign. I also tried out a technique I saw on The Tactical Painter's blog for adding camouflage netting to vehicles. Rather pleased with the look of them, I feel it makes them look a bit different and less like "out the box" models.

At long last getting round to some of the EXCELLENT models from Oathsworn Miniatures last Kickstarter (I have ended up backing the recent one too, I am a sucker for these models). I love the character of these miniatures, they are so much fun to paint. And that is coming from someone who struggles with painting figures, both in terms of motivation and skill.












And finally I painted up a few commandos and German guards as I intend to try and get a (probably solo) game of Black Ops in at some point over the holidays. This has been inspired by a WSS article on the rules set in WW2, and also re-reading Tiny Hordes report . My usual opponent is AWOL so can't get the next game of our campaign in, which would have been nice over the holidays.

Now a drum-roll please, that gets me up to 943 points. Ah well. Not quite the 1000 mark I was aiming for at the beginning of the year but I have got a lot closer than I thought I would when I was sitting at the 520ish mark less than a month ago!

2 comments:

  1. 943 is pretty close! Your painting is looking good to me. How are 6mm to paint? I've not painted anything but terrain in a bit, and am thinking of starting with something smaller than 28mm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It does the job, I keep reminding myself that when on the table they look good enough!
      6mm is super easy to paint. I was nervous when my order from Baccus came in and I saw how small they are. I got some good advice on twitter: Paint the army not the man, You don't need to paint the details of 28mm. A light base or primer (I like grey for WW2) followed by a dark wash brings out the details so easier to paint. Nut Brown ink wash to shade at the end. I think I posted about painting 6mm a few months ago, probably mentioned stuff in more detail there!
      Also check out the baccus site, Peter has loads of 6mm info, also Rollaone (Per, a Swedish Chap) has a good blog with lots of 6mm stuff.
      Highly recommend trying 6mm, I am loving them!

      Delete