Sunday 9 September 2018

The long and winding roads

Dirt roads
Following an exchange over at the Too Fat Lardies Forum I decided it would be well worth the effort to try add some static grass to the patches on the dirt roads.

 I think the addition has really taken them up a notch. Very pleased with them now, the texture and height of the grass makes them come to life. So thank you very much Mr Hendrik from the forum!


To address one area of concern picked up, there has been some warping on some pieces, and majority has disappeared when bent in the opposite way, one piece has been a bit more tricky and required some more manipulation but is currently sitting flat. I think if it store it with the other roads on top it may help. So not entirely warp proof as a material but pretty forgiving, and certainly nothing I am going to worry about!

Metalled Roads
Yes more roads. Can't seem to make enough of them or rather I am just about making enough of them!

Alongside the dirt roads I've also been attempting some "hard top" style roads which are needed for the 29 Let's Go campaign. I only need about 6ft for the first game (we will be replaying the map as the Germans won) and about 8ft for the second scenario. So starting off with about 8-9ft will do for now. Incidentally I don't think we will get to play the next game until October now due to work and holiday (opponents) calendars. Disappointing but gives me more time to get the terrain sorted (and some supports painted up).

Similar to the dirt roads it is linoleum vinyl material for the base, cut into straights, a spread of caulk to cover and then fine sand poured over and lightly patted down, the excess then shaken off. This leaves a rather pleasant sandy stretch.

Once dried they all got the same treatment as the dirt roads. A good slopping of black emulsion. A rather thick coat as I found I had to load up the brush a lot to get a complete coverage of the surface. You can see some white edges peeping through below. These got dabbed up after the pieces had dried, and left for a bit more drying time.


Then some drybrushing, rather heavy handed, with a dark grey.



Followed by some lighter tones.




 I'm calling them done now. I won't be adding any green stuff as they may get used in towns where they wouldn't have grassy edges. I'm hoping that by themselves they will do the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment