Thursday 6 September 2018

Roads Part Deux

Spurred on by some lovely comments from the Too Fat Lardies Forum I've been sneaking some progress on the roads after work each day this week. Picking up where I left off with the roads base-coated in  cheap black emulsion. Next up was trying to get them looking like dirt tracks.

I started with an craft acrylic tube of paint, Burnt Umber, easily obtained from your local cheapo shop. The one thing I have taken to heart is that terrain need not be expensive to look decent. Leftovers and pound shops are the order of the day.

This left them looking rather darker than I had anticipated so I moved onto my next shade, a delightful Forest Brown from a tester pot. This brought the colour up to a lighter brown which was the effect I was striving for.



Then a blend of the remnants of the Burnt umber that was left in a wee pot, a good dollop of beige, the exact colour is obscured by paint now, and a few dabs of Forest Brown for good measure. This was dry brushed onto the roads to highlight the texture a bit more.


 It always amazes me what a little bit of contrast can do for the appearance of terrain. They are beginning to look quite serviceable. Some close ups to show that.



Those were taken whilst the last coat was still wet, so I will check back and see how it turns out. I may well add a further highlight of the pure beige colour just to finish them off.
As it turns out they had gone duller as I expected and so I ended up doing a pure beige highlight and then cracking on with some flock.



Cheap sawdust type, which I now feel is maybe not as grassy as I would like. I may try add some static grass (which I have never actually used) or some tufts to add a bit of different heights and textures. But for now I may well call them done, all that is left is a spray coating of PVA/water as I am told that really helps seal things on.




No comments:

Post a Comment