Wednesday 12 September 2018

29 Let's Go - US Supports

Game one ended with a win to the Germans, and while I was able to cobble together the required numbers of figures for the game, the support options were lacking somewhat. Not one for original thought I "borrowed" the idea from Rich Clarke's own 29 Let's Go supports. I utilised my first paycheck from the new job on picking up a box of Warlord Games US Rangers from the ever wonderful, and very reasonable Caliver Books.

I don't have the same aversion that many online seem to have over plastics. They can be time consuming but I rather enjoy the construction bit. When I was a child I would occasionally get an Airfix or similar kit for a birthday or Christmas, like many others I'm sure, and I could never wait to put it all together. Sadly I was always too keen and ended up gluing bits on before they really should have been stuck on. Usually resulting in some surgery or just a bit of judicious force. Without the judicious bit.

Apologies I'm rambling again. Anyway, plastics I don't mind. I did however find that sticking bits of metal onto plastic is rather frustrating and involved the use of superglue which I am in no way neat and tidy with. The particular culprit was the flamethrower pack with arms attached. I could not get it to sit correctly. Ultimately I just forced it into place and declared myself satisfied.


In hindsight I should have cut the bit where the arm joins the pack and it would have freed up the movement a bit more I suspect. Anyway, it is done. The other two in the team are simple riflemen with goggles. Because in my mind you need goggles if you're in the Flame Team!

I attempted some "creativity" here by trying to make the other engineering options. The bangalores were as per Big Rich and his wire team. For the third chap I tried to make some wire cutters out of paperclip wire and some metal sprue. Looks dubious and more like blacksmith tongs than a wire cutter but this chap just picked up what he was told.


I believe it is John Bond from whom I stole the metal detector idea. Sorry "borrowed". All I can say is that man is talented and I, Sir, am not. Bodge complete and with a bit of paint and smoke he will do. He is joined by two more simple attempts (also borrowed ideas)

Rather than be sensible and have the wire team double as a demo team I decided to make them. A quick google showed explosives in two forms so I chopped up some sprue and thrust it into their grateful hands. I'm hoping some paint will transform the bundle of chopped up paperclip into something resembling a bundle of dynamite sticks. The blocks of explosive also got a crate to lie in for number three to kneel and fish them out of.

The radio screamed FOO to me so not one to burden myself with deep thought I ran with it.

And an additional crew member for the 30 cal.

Finally I re-based the SLs and JLs, onto hexagon MDF bases from Warbases. My Platoon commander is a bit of a bodge. I had a figure which I suspect was a para, standing in a strange pose, so I thought he would be rather identifiable.

I found the Rangers box contains a metal head with a captain or lieutenant helmet, can't quite make out if it is two bars or one. I may put this on him instead, it would look better I think. But then I have to contend with how to remove the head he has and painting up a new one and gluing it on. All new experiences for me, but probably worth the effort for the gleaming Captain bands on the new helmet!

No comments:

Post a Comment