Thursday 20 September 2018

Terrain Upgrades and Improvements - Farm Fields

More on the terrain preparation front for 29 Let's Go. This time I'm tackling some fields, specifically plowed or farm types.

The starting point are the mats you get for the car foot-well area. I used them pretty much straight from the packet for the first game but with a few cut up to provide the smaller shapes.


I don't think I need to do much to improve them, mainly a good base-coat and some dry-brushing of brown shades. As they are rather dark anyway I'll start with a burnt umber first layer.


While they were still wet I went over them in different areas with a second shade of brown (Forest brown, a cheap tester pot).


Once that had dried overnight I went over it with a mix of burnt umber and sandy beige to pick out some detail.



And I must say the pictures don't manage to show it at all. Needless to say they look a bit more varied than they appear!

I ended on a final highlight of "Fresh Barley" which just about shows up in the picture. If nothing else you have a fine series of photos of vaguely brown car mats. Well worth the effort of scrolling down this page!

I've been swithering back and forth about adding greenery to these. I came to the decision that I will leave them as is and make a few bits of scatter that can be placed in corners and on edges to represent those areas of the field the farmer can't get in to plow.

I cut up the MDF frame from some terrain sabot type bases, four sprues in total and gave me a good number of cornery type pieces to work with. I bevelled the edges with a stanley knife and sanded them down a little. I squeezed a dollop of caulk onto each base and them smeared it round, placed any rocks and bushes on the base then left it to dry.


Once dry it was a black base coat and brown for ground, grey for rocks. Followed by dry brushing and highlights.


Finally flock, I wanted to add some longer grass or shrubs for a more unkempt appearance but I don't have anything that suits, so I have ordered a box of tufts which will get added on at some point .

No comments:

Post a Comment