Friday 19 October 2018

I'm on the Hedge of Glory

Sadly I haven't kept any pictures from our first game in the 29 Let's Go campaign. If I had you would have seen some improvised and rather jarring hedges. As I laid out the terrain for the game I quickly realised that I had no where near enough hedging to closely approximate what was shown in the PDF. Cue frantic terrain building.

What I had to work with was some coconut fibre plant basket liners and some ePVC sheets. I had intended to make more hedges and vegetation which was why I had them, I just hadn't got round to starting.

So to the improvised hedges. I cut strips of the fibre and hot glued them onto some ePVC. And that was it. Ugly white bases and brown fibre hedges, but it would do the job for the game ahead.

I've now roughly calculated that I will need some more hedging for some of the other scenarios, and a few extra for the first scenario wouldn't hurt. So I'll use the same idea and make up some more.

Coconut fibre is cut up into strips and they get hot glued onto the ePVC bases. Next PVA onto the base and sand added. These will get a spray of PVA/water mix once dry to seal and strengthen the adherence of the sand to the base. Once the sealing spray has dried they get primed with black emulsion, not worrying too much about getting the fibre covered. Some simple dry brushing of various browns finishes off the dirt bases.


The hedges doused in PVA and a dark green flock added to give them a contrasting shade to my grassy playing mat. I noticed when setting up the last game that in certain light some of the hedges I've made previously blend into the grass. Not necessarily a problem but I want more contrast going forward so went with a darker tone in this case. I'm half tempted to look at getting some darker tones onto the old hedges but that is a decision for another day.

After coating them once I felt I wanted a more complete coverage so went about applying more PVA and more flock. I've realised (or from helpful comments on the TFL forum) that using sawdust type flock means you can't get a good final seal and keep the stuff on, so I have started using foam flock from LukesAPS range at Geek Gaming. It is rather nice stuff actually and so far seems to stay on with the PVA treatment. Success!



And finally some flock on the bases to finish them off. Now all I need to do is remember to take the bloomin' things next time!




No comments:

Post a Comment